Sunday, January 1, 2012

Microsoft Outlook : IMAP vs POP3

I uses Microsoft Outlook for ages and I found my Send/Receive all folder commands is really slow but I don't really care until now I'm pissed so did some check up in internet and I found the solution.


I used gmail and it uses IMAP as default. You can't even change that when you're using auto detect setting. So I made a new account and manually setting it to use POP3. You can find a lot of tutorial about this in internet so happy searching.

So why uses POP3 rather than IMAP?
Because it's faster. How does it works?
IMAP syncronize your outlook with your email service. So everytime it check for email, it syncronized every single email with your server in every folder including folder sent which is time wasting.

On the other hand, POP3 just checks for new incoming email and downloads it. Simple and Fast. The only downfall is POP3 don't download sent folder and any other folder except Inbox and Junk.

Now Send/Receive only take seconds to complete. HALELUJAH!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Write your comment here.

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More